CRS 2011 in March

Moderator: jimmya

cbsmith

CRS 2011 in March

Post by cbsmith » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:50 pm

Looking for some advice on the upcoming CRS in March... My company is on the fence whether or not they will pay for me to attend this year... my question is" "Is it worth me paying out of pocket to attend?" I have only been in radio for about 6 years and have been in the APD role for about 3 years now. I took over programming duties full-time about 11 months ago. I have never been and was hoping to find some advice on whether this is something worth forking over the dough for or if I am just blowing my money. All opinions are welcome.

SkyPotato

Re: CRS 2011 in March

Post by SkyPotato » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:30 am

Hey there! I guess it depends on what you are wanting to get out of it but I think it's a great networking event. And there is a lot of access to the artists. You didn't say what station so some of that access depends on whether you are a reporter or not of course :) but it's a great way to meet some of your reps even if you are not.
I think if you have never been it's worth checking out for sure. I know of a couple programmers who pay for it themselves and keep coming back.

PizzaLicker

Post by PizzaLicker » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:41 pm

So why is the CRB starting their own bar this year...the Country peeps don't like hanging out with the Townies, gherms, hopeful artists and a plentiful supply of saloon girls in the Bridge Bar?

I kind of like it to be honest. At least none of those folks are going to be talking about the PPM or whatever.

what do you people think?

In reality the more places we can buy a drink, the better we'll be.

P.L.

mlizzle

Post by mlizzle » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:44 pm

cbsmith, it is absolutely worth it! I first attended CRS about five years ago and I have been every year since. I've met so many great people there, including some of my new favorite artists. The hotel is nice and the panels are very interesting and informative. I'd definitely fork over the funds out of my personal bank account to attend. The New Faces show (the big event on the last night of CRS) is sold out right now, that is the only disadvantage to those folks who have waited to register closer to time of the seminar, but I'm SURE there's going to be some extra NF tickets floating around.

We hope you can join us at CRS! :)

~Mary Lynne
AllAccess.com

Blocklo

Post by Blocklo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:32 am

I think it's worth checking out CRS for sure. Maybe you can get the company to pay for part of it? And you can pay for the free drinks!

I think another bar is a good idea. People can at least use it for a quieter networking drink if they want. And then stumble upstairs after a few. :)

Blocklo

Post by Blocklo » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:18 am

I can't believe CRS is next week! You decide to come CB?
I think there's a good lineup of events this year. I'm excited to start mingling and not sleeping! :)

cbsmith

Post by cbsmith » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:07 pm

Thanks for all the great input everyone! I am all registered and look forward to seeing you down there!! Very excited about coming down, can't wait to learn a ton of stuff. By the way, any advice on what I should be on the look out for while I am there? Special opportunities? What I should or should not be bothered with? I know there is a lot going on, so I want to make sure I get the most out of it! Thanks!

mlizzle

Post by mlizzle » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:24 pm

Woohoo! Look forward to seeing you there! This year there's going to be an all new CRS-badge-only bar for networking, called "Connections" - I believe it's going to be located in the walkway area between the convention center and the hotel. That will be a GREAT place to network with fellow attendees, compared to the Bridge Bar, which can get crazy with hangers-on and HUGE crowds of non-attendees.

Blocklo

Post by Blocklo » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:15 am

I mostly play it by ear when I go! I figure out what day time panels I want to hit up and then I just head to the parties as they come up. :) My advice is not to over do it in the first night...but I don't always take my own advice!

karengoodner

Post by karengoodner » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:45 am

Hey there! I agree that it's great to play it by ear with the night stuff but don't forget that there are a lot of great day time panels and shows. I thought the UMG Ryman show was awesome last year so I am looking forward to that one again!

Can't wait to see everyone next week! Getting to see so many people face to face that I usually only talk to over the phone is the highlight for me!