Will Country music ever be "Country" again?

Moderator: jimmya

Drakea83

Will Country music ever be "Country" again?

Post by Drakea83 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:09 pm

Just wanted to check with other people on if you think country will go back to roots some time or if it'll continue to be more pop oriented? It's always been cyclical, but this pop swing seems to have been going for a while.

Thoughts?

Blocklo

Re: Will Country music ever be "Country" again?

Post by Blocklo » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:39 am

I think there will always be the pop leaning Country now and it will probably always be the more popular radio Country format. There are some great traditional sounding artists still out though and I think there is a place for that as well. Unfortunately most of the things that are REALLY Country now aren't played or are considered something else, some of those artists get more play from Triple A.

So I guess I am saying no after all that ha

artv1

Post by artv1 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:32 am

What is confusing to me are the folks who think Brad Paisly & Carrie Underwood are "real" country artists, while condemning Taylor Swift & Lady Antebellum as "too pop."

Frankly none of that stuff is Country Music to me or anyone I know. Just having a slide guitar & fiddles in your song doesn't give it genuine Country credibility.

jimmya

Post by jimmya » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:47 pm

Check out the Dustin Lynch, a really awesome traditional Country song, and Jana Kramer is a lot more Country, than I was expecting, and it's a great song! And then there's the Josh Thompson, Brantley Gilbert, Kip Moore and on and on.

There's some really good stuff out there right now!

Jim

Drakea83

Post by Drakea83 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:31 pm

jimmya wrote:Check out the Dustin Lynch, a really awesome traditional Country song, and Jana Kramer is a lot more Country, than I was expecting, and it's a great song! And then there's the Josh Thompson, Brantley Gilbert, Kip Moore and on and on.

There's some really good stuff out there right now!

Jim
Not a big Brantley fan. I can't get passed the Affliction shirts he wears, haha. Plus, he writes some really decent rap songs that are then turned into country.

kevin55128

Post by kevin55128 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:42 pm

It's the history of country music...we go in phases. When disco was big, there was Dolly Parton and Bill Anderson trying to put out disco songs. We've had the urban cowboy phase, the Nashville sound and the Bakersfield sound. Now we're in the phase of 60's rock organ and 80's power cords. Country has become the new CHR. Will it move or change? Yup, it always does. Will there always be someone still putting out songs with twin fiddles and steel guitars? Of course! It's just that right now, they're far and few between.

And on a personal note to Brad Paisley...yeah we all know you can play the guitar. But you're playing too many notes. A great guitar play knows when less is more...ie Vince Gill, Steve Wariner and Chet Atkins.

Radio1240

Post by Radio1240 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:26 pm

When I started in radio..I was on a Country & Western radio station, 50,000 FM station..part time of course...and it was Country and Western.....you couldn't get a jock under 45 years old to work there...I did because it was a way into radio then... 1970.... I did get a chance to be on stage with George Jones and The Jones Boys with Jerry Lee Lewis at the Bushnell in Hartford, CT...I couldn't care less, believe me... I was looking for 3 Dog Night, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Chicago, Blood Sweat and Tears, The Temptations and 4 Tops, The Guess Who, Rolling Stones, Beach Boys and Beatles... I wasn't gettin' that! But a way into top 40 radio I was after..and I got, full time at our top 40 sister station within a few months....everyone on the AM sister station hated country.....but today..you can hardly find an over 45-50 year old on the air...I think todays' country is young peoples top 40 of the 60's and 70's...it's clean and fun...and that's what top 40 music and radio was back then....not every young person loves Hip Hop, Metal, and Hot AC.....I found being on country radio for the past 16 years, reminds me of my top 40 days..great audience, they listen and participate in the action. They know what's going on....I just don't think country is ever going back to the Country and Western days...it's over..there's just too much money in the NEW Country. Yea....it's Pop-Country...here to stay.... and yes, some of it I don't agree with..... Lady A....I love em'...but it's Pop...listen to their new one, even Blake Shelton's Drink On It...and Zac Brown's Keep Me In Mind....the intro is leaning on top 40..... great tune... if KHJ was still around or WABC in New York...they'd be playing this stuff.... at least we still have George Strait and Alan Jackson....

ctryfan1980

Post by ctryfan1980 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:31 pm

Kellie Pickler is putting out an album this week that is more of a throwback to Tammy Wynette than anything else. She could be another LeeAnn Womack (her debut album era) if given a chance with this record.
We had Bradley Gaskin last year with "Mr Bartender" and when he did his radio tour his music was top notch true Country. What did that get him? Nothing. Radio didn't even give him a chance. Same can be said about Sunny Sweeney and Ashton Shephard.
Alan has released his most traditional ballad in years this month with "So I Don't Have to Love You Anymore" that is a throwback to his first couple albums. I hope radio will play it but I'm worried it won't be seen as hip to play it next to a Rascal Flatts song to most PDs. Both Alan and George are probably in their last gasp of radio. George is the only artist who started in the 80s to still get regular play with new music, that can't last much longer in this environment.
Tim McGraw's new single "Better than I Used to Be" screams traditional.
Even Scotty McCreery has some great traditional stuff on his CD, but the wrong single was released to showcase what is really on that album,
Out of all the pre-2000 artists only a handful are still even being given a chance by radio with their latest releases, and diminishing as the years progress.
Women is a whole other topic. We had at least 20+ women break thru into great success thru the 90s. Since 2000 we have had 4: Gretchen, Carrie, Miranda, and Taylor. This last decade has seen new female talent being giving least chance since the 1960s in Country music! Thats pathetic.
Single and Album turnaround time is also a joke. Even new artists pre-2000 could release 3 or 4 singles a year per year with album releases every 12-18 months. I know the internet has changed things when it comes to singles vs albums, but its hard to create a dedicated fanbase with touring when you only have one single every 8-12 months with an album every 2.5-3 years. Most fans don't have that long of an attention span, they'll move on to the next new artist before they'll wait before more music from whichever artist is taking so long to break. People like Garth, Alan, Shania, Tracy Lawrence, Joe Diffie, and at least 100 others or more didn't have to suffer thru this same painful length of time for their first albums as the new artists of today do. If the "class of 89 artists" started to break today, it'd take them til 2014 or 15 to even get to the place it took them from 89 to 90 to do.
I said all that to say this....the Country radio industry is more screwed up than just the style of Country they play. It needs a total 180 turnaround and fast.