New Artists On The Rise

Moderator: jimmya

dustinhensley

New Artists On The Rise

Post by dustinhensley » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:38 am

One of my favorite things about the music business, is always getting to hear new music before anyone else! And because of that I probably spend an unhealthy amount of time stalking the internet for new up-and-coming artists, and even super obscure artists that no one has ever heard of. What are some of your favorite "new" folks on the rise? I'd tell you mine but I write a book on the subject, and no one wants that.

karengoodner

Re: New Artists On The Rise

Post by karengoodner » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:07 am

Aw come on Dustin! Well we certainly hear all the new artists here- I really like the Kristen Kelly, The Dirt Drifters and I am glad to see the Josh Abbott Band getting some love on mainstream Country radio!

Drakea83

Post by Drakea83 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:42 pm

karengoodner wrote:Aw come on Dustin! Well we certainly hear all the new artists here- I really like the Kristen Kelly, The Dirt Drifters and I am glad to see the Josh Abbott Band getting some love on mainstream Country radio!
ha, look at Karen showing some Texas music love! I'll be the Texas homer that will also say Kyle Park, Aaron Watson, No Justice, and Rosehill are other guys to put an ear too!

Dirt Drifters are awesome, I'm glad to see those guys getting some more love too. Christian Kane is another guy I'm excited to play now that I'm at a place that doesn't play straight Texas/Red Dirt music. My wife and I have been fans of his singing since an episode of Angel (yes, we're nerds that watch Buffy/Angel ha.) His CD has some grit to it and some great songwriting too.

karengoodner

Post by karengoodner » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:47 am

Yeah there's a lot of great music in that Texas section Adam ;) I really like the Rosehill too!

dustinhensley

Post by dustinhensley » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:02 am

Alright K-Dawg I'll bite!

I'm SO glad Josh Abbott is getting some mainstream praise. I've loved them for while now. As far as the Texas crowd, I would love to see Whiskey Myers get some more exposure, as well as Stoney Larue, Randy Rogers Band, Cory Morrow, Roger Creager, Brandon Rhyder, Casey Donahew,Granger Smith, ok I gotta stop there. I told you- A BOOK . Oh! And I'm really excited to see Wade Bowen seeing some "outside" recognition. Obviously Eli Young Bang are doing great, as well as Sunny Sweeney.

As far as Nashville, Ella Mae Bowen is going to do really big things I feel like. Brantley Gilbert is another one who has really come into his own, and I'm a fan of Tyler Farr already. Thomas Rhett, I'm obsessed with David Nail's record, and..seriously. I've got to stop.

Drakea83

Post by Drakea83 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:53 pm

karengoodner wrote:Aw come on Dustin! Well we certainly hear all the new artists here- I really like the Kristen Kelly, The Dirt Drifters and I am glad to see the Josh Abbott Band getting some love on mainstream Country radio!
Rosehill! Those are my boys! Karen, I invite you to come party with me and Rosehill one night. It'll blow anything you do in Nashville out of the water! haha

Dustin also mentioned Whiskey Myers. I remember those boys from about 5 years ago just before they released their first record. There's no one I know that's grown more than those guys. Firewater was my favorite record of all genres in 2011 (followed real close by the new Foo Fighters.) It was straight up, in your face southern rock. Whiskey Myers is also a MUST see show. VERY worth the trip if they are within 2 hours of you. Matter of fact Dustin, all of those that you mentioned are very capable of doing well nationally if they had the financial backing. All of them are great people too which goes a long way for me.

I'm not big into Brantley Gilbert. Just not my style... I will check out Ella Mae Bowen though, thanks for those ideas Dustin.