The Haiti Disaster

Moderator: jimmya

jimmya

The Haiti Disaster

Post by jimmya » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:30 am

Over the last couple of days we have all seen photos from the tragic earthquake in Haiti that are a reminder of the horror that can sometimes take place in our world.

Yesterday our government leaders, including former President Bill Clinton, who gave a passionate plea at the United Nations, were asking all of us to donate money.

I have also heard that the familiar groups are the best ones to donate to, because believe it or not, there will be scams. I recommend the Red Cross and Unicef, who both do great work and are already on the ground there helping as they always do. There's many others, so choose as you wish. I know that World Vision also does great work, and there are many, many more.

This is a time to be thankful for what you have, and to give what you can.

Thanks!
Jim Asker

mlizzle

Re: The Haiti Disaster

Post by mlizzle » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:53 pm

Here's a great way you can help out - text the word "HAITI" to 90999 to make an instant $10 donation to the Red Cross' disaster relief efforts. I also hear that UPS is offering free shipping to Haiti, so another way you can help out is to send care packages for those in need. I'm sure they could use a little bit of everything right now.

I am absolutely amazed at how everyone is responding to this so far. The social networks are buzzing left and right, Wyclef Jean has already raised over a million dollars for the country (he is originally from there) and the media has really stepped up to spread the word about donations and so forth.

Let's do all we can to band together and help the helpless!

Mary Lynne O'Neal
All Access

SkyPotato

Post by SkyPotato » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:39 pm

Sounds like a ton of artists are doing the telethon on Friday...I saw that they are doing shows in Los Angeles, New York & London. I hope they raise a ton of money especially with the new earthquake. Hopefully people who texted to donate will donate again. Such a huge tragedy.

Blocklo

Post by Blocklo » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:28 am

Big Kenny is over there helping with the rescue effort and searching for his friend. He seems like a really good guy. I hope he finds his friend...I've been keeping an eye on his photos..def sad but he also catches some hopeful moments
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigkenny/4300432969/

karengoodner

Post by karengoodner » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:17 pm

Karen from All Access here.

I wanted to mention another way for Nashville residents to help out through Project Haiti. Can-Do and Livin' the Music have set up a drop site in Nashville to collect supplies. (Toby Keith donated the tractor trailers for holding all those supplies.)

They are asking for people to donate medical supplies, non-perishable food items and water purifications products to the effort.

The drop site is at 1420 Cowan Court at Sound Stage until Feb 2nd...They are shipping the supplies to Port Au Prince on that date.