Nashville Flooding

Moderator: jimmya

karengoodner

Nashville Flooding

Post by karengoodner » Mon May 03, 2010 6:58 am

How are all the Nashville residents doing after the flooding this weekend? Hope everything is safe and damage free. Luckily my house is on a hill and my neighborhood didn't have any big damage. But I know so many were not as lucky.
It was very weird to watch all the events on tv. Glad the sun is out today and hope the water starts to recede quickly.
Karen

mlizzle

Re: Nashville Flooding

Post by mlizzle » Mon May 03, 2010 9:18 am

Hey everyone,

Mary Lynne from All Access here. I just wanted to send my thoughts and prayers out to those in Middle TN who were affected by the floods this weekend. I was stranded at my house all weekend due to rising waters and road closures, but thankfully my house did not get damaged. I do have several friends whose houses were damaged, though.

There's lots to be thankful for today, and I hope everyone is okay. Take care and God bless!
~ML

jimmya

Post by jimmya » Mon May 03, 2010 10:47 am

It has been one of the wildest weekends that I can ever remember anywhere, including my weekends in the blizzards of Upstate NY.

I have never seen this much water, and now I have an extra sense of awe for the tragedy of Katrina. This was a mini compared to that--however we felt our own sense of tragedy here. 11 people were killed and they're still counting.

I know a lot of the people in the music industry suffered damage to their homes, but if you and your family are safe, and you have a leaky roof--count your blessings.

Great job to all the radio stations that stayed on the air providing information. And many blessings to everyone. We are owed a do-over for a real crappy weekend!

Take care-

Jim

karengoodner

Post by karengoodner » Tue May 04, 2010 2:13 pm

I find the pictures of so many feet of water in the Opry House especially hard to see. I worked there part time when I first moved to Nashville and I know some really wonderful people who keep that place going. It doesn't seem that there is much to be done until the water recedes but I hope that they can get a handle on things quickly. And amazing that they have been able to move even tonight's show (to the War Memorial Auditorium downtown) to keep the show going. I've heard estimates that Opryland Hotel might not be open again until Christmas. I'm sure there is a lot to figure out before they can really say but it would be sad to have a Christmas season in Nashville without being able to take visitors to Opryland to show them how we decorate right.

Wanted to share the link for volunteer efforts. Hands on Nashville is handling official volunteer organization and can be reached at http://www.hon.org/HomePage/index.php/home.html. Donations may be made at www.nashvilleredcross.org.

mlizzle

Post by mlizzle » Tue May 04, 2010 2:30 pm

I just wanted to give a personal kudos to Clear Channel Nashville VP/Market Manager Tom English and the entire staff at all five stations - today they are running a cluster-wide radiothon across all stations, using several staffers from each station to broadcast across different dayparts. It started early this morning and there's no telling how much money they will raise by the end of the day! It's an awesome thing that they have put together in such a short time.

Last night I passed through downtown for the first time and it was SO sad to see Nashville underwater, especially the Opryland Hotel and the Grand Ole Opry. I hope they can save that famous circle onstage where so many legends have stood. From what it looked like in the photo that's been spread around the internet, it doesn't look like the stage was fully submerged. I guess we'll have to wait and see once they assess the damage.

jimmya

Post by jimmya » Wed May 05, 2010 7:33 am

I agree about the CLEAR CHANNEL Radiothon.....I heard bits and pieces of it yesterday and it was great to hear the personalities from all the different formats together for such a great, deserving cause.

Great Job!

Jim

Drunkdog

Post by Drunkdog » Wed May 05, 2010 1:04 pm

Lord help us! The piranha are loose in the Opry Mills mall. They escaped after their tank burst at the Aquarium restaurant. Looks like I won't be going swimmin' anytime soon.

(Sorry, I had to bring some kinda humor to the topic. Although this bit of odd news IS true...LOL!)

Blocklo

Post by Blocklo » Wed May 05, 2010 3:04 pm

I was glad to see that the Country Music Hall of Fame didn't get that much damage. They said all the archives were fine and are working on being open again this weekend. Such good news! Glad they didn't lose anything that can't be replaced.

RabbitBro

Post by RabbitBro » Thu May 06, 2010 10:58 am

I'm glad about the HOF being okay, too. I was listening to a Kenny Chesney interview that he did for CNN and he brought up a really good point that I never thought of until now. I was really sad to hear that all of those Country stars lost their belongings and equipment, but they can at least afford to replace their material things. Others cannot...and it's been really neat to see everyone band together to help each other in this time of need.

sinwagontheband

Post by sinwagontheband » Thu May 06, 2010 9:49 pm

Hi
I have a great new modern country cover band here in Asheville.

We are going to play for free to raise money to help with the flooding in Nashville. I know we all have many loved ones there! We do not know where or how yet, thats why we hope you can help...
If you will use our help, we would be so happy. We can help you put something together for this fund,. I'll do all the work if need be! Create some event...

My band and I are looking to play more concerts around the South anyway and love to play!
The band would love to play and get our music out there. - Love also just being around great music and hope we can be friends for a long time. Help our community!

We play a lot of pop country and rock covers. Many Great Originals. Beat female singer in town! (Mass Opinion including mine! LOL)
We play for good causes and charity events for free when we can.
It is all we have to give back, so don't be shy to ask.

Weve been playing a lot from - Martina Mcbride, Brad Paisley, Sugarland, Carrie Underwood, Jason Aldean and originals, and many more..
New Demo "Mile Marker" on our site now:

http://www.thisismyband.com/sinwagontheband

http://www.youtube.com/SinWagonTheBand

We want to play.
Call for more info!
Thank you and C ya Later!

828-242-0406