Re: Nashville Flooding

Post by jimmya » Fri May 07, 2010 7:50 am

I just want to wish everyone a nice safe, and DRY weekend-

Not only in Nashville but everywhere!

Jim

mlizzle

Post by mlizzle » Fri May 07, 2010 8:44 am

Same here! Nashville has a 50% chance of rain later tonight, but I think that's it until Monday (another more slight chance that day). Looks like the rest of the weekend will be perfect weather for volunteering!

http://www.hon.org - Hands On Nashville's website that has TONS of volunteering opportunities.

Have a great weekend, everyone!
Mary Lynne

karengoodner

Post by karengoodner » Fri May 07, 2010 9:34 am

I was proud to see how many members of the Nashville music community came out for the WSMV telethon last night. They raised over 1.7 million dollars for flood relief. Anderson Cooper also did his show live from Nashville last night with Brad Paisley, Faith Hill and Tim McGraw there to talk about the help that is needed.
I am glad to see some needed coverage coming to the area. And so glad to see Country artists lending a hand. Not that I had any doubt that they would...many benefits still in the works, with an extra kudos to the CMA Festival for donating 50% of proceeds to flood relief this year. Glad the festival will continue this year and be for a great cause.
Hope everyone has a great weekend and keeps helping however they can.
Karen

karengoodner

Post by karengoodner » Mon May 10, 2010 8:37 am

I'm sure if you are in Nashville you have heard it talked about but Hands On Nashville is doing the bulk of the flood relief volunteer coordination. I worked on a project this weekend in Bellevue helping a family gut their house which had been flooded to the roof and there is still so much to do. Check out www.hon.org for projects.

Also good news that the famous Opry circle of wood from the Ryman can be saved! Shows are scheduled in other venues until June 4th but they are already working on getting things cleaned up.

napmouth

Post by napmouth » Fri May 14, 2010 11:43 am

Talk about a rough 2010! I was sad to see the Musicians Hall of Fame in Nashville had stored much of their collection in Soundcheck. They had gotten outed from their space in Nashville by the convention center plans amid much controversy over the price they were given (on the too low side). And in a pinch they just stored everything til they could figure everything out. In the now flood damaged Soundcheck.

So many items that are impossible to replace. I know they are just things and so many people have it so much worst. But still sad to see them take another hit when they were trying to get it back together.

napmouth

Post by napmouth » Mon May 17, 2010 8:30 am

Oh a better note, was glad to see how much money was raised at the telethon last night on GAC. Over 1.5 million already. Some of the performances were less than stellar but it was a great cause all around. And nice to see some of these big acts giving their time again and again. I've already seen Keith on two telethons and I know he is signed up to join in for the Nashville rising concert too.

I thought Will Hoge did a great job on closing the night down too. Glad they got some non-Country artists involved even though it was on GAC.

jimmya

Post by jimmya » Mon May 17, 2010 2:31 pm

It was great to see so many stars come out for the GAC-TV benefit for the flood victims, and they raised $1.5 million. Great job everyone!

Now if it would just stop raining EVERY weekend!

Jim

mlizzle

Post by mlizzle » Mon May 17, 2010 3:22 pm

I was absolutely amazed at how much money they raised in such a short amount of time. The performances were AWESOME and it was great to see some non-Country acts come out and support the cause.

Kudos to GAC for running this great event!

RabbitBro

Post by RabbitBro » Wed May 19, 2010 2:13 pm

Just saw that the total is now up to $1.8 million, including the online and text donations they've received since the telethon. They're also rebroadcasting it, so I think it will raise even MORE money in the next few days. Awesome!

Blocklo

Post by Blocklo » Fri May 21, 2010 10:12 am

Glad to see the total still going up. And the Nashville Rising concert will raise a bunch more. Country artists have really stepped it up for their home base. Plus with CMA Festival funds headed to the flood victims, I'll try to be a little less road ragey that week when traffic is crazy and all these economy boosting fans are driving the wrong way down 16th Ave.