Has anyone heard of California Jam?

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
caljamscott

Has anyone heard of California Jam?

Post by caljamscott » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:49 am

In my view this was a concert bigger and better than Woodstock! It turns out I was the only one in the nation to pirate this gig off the air. ABC doesn't have it anymore, thus leaving me, this amateur recordist with "the only three hours of radio that matters" from the 1970s. The +3 hours soundtrack sounds beyond belief. Do you know what's like to hear 250,000 'extras' screaming our heads off at the same time? I do.

Being that, in my view this world exclusive 1974 California Jam recording of mine dwarfs Classic Rock. Any suggestions on what can be done with it? Incidentally my website is californiajam.com but currently parked. This is such a beauty of a recording it would be a pity if it never got revived.

I have another musical bigger than this called Nuclear Warrior which dwarfs everything, except California Jam. Again my other website is nuclearwarrior.com also parked.

Aside from this I'm the only one who shot a film within the most important outdoor music venue in New York history, the Forest Hills Tennis Stadium. The Beatles, Doors, Jimi, Janis, Who, Mamas & Papas, Frank Sinatra, Judy Garland, Simon & Garfunkel, Peter Paul & Mary, Sly & the Family Stone, Diana Ross & the Supremes, and much of the Woodstock alum played this venue. You are hard-pressed to find a photograph let alone a film! I'm a contributor to Getty Images with clips of this film and other unique segments of Americana.

So how's your day going? Any suggestions?

robnokshus

Re: Has anyone heard of California Jam?

Post by robnokshus » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:55 am

Since most concert tickets come with a "No tape recorders" clause and most on-air broadcasts are copywrited, I would say monetarily you are SOL. Historicaly you may have something there that you may or may not be able to share for free until someone serves you with a C&D notice. BTW there are many Cal Jam videos available on Youtube so even the exclusivity of what you posses is in question.

Otherwise I am having a great day! Happy holidays to you.

mockspeed

Post by mockspeed » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:45 am

I have to laugh at the notion that he has the only audio recording. I was there for the first Cal Jam, as a young teenager, and I know I was recorded by ABC. As Rob mentioned pieces are on Youtube. Not sure what you can do with your version without talking to music industry lawyers.

caljamscott

Post by caljamscott » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:01 pm

robnokshus wrote:Since most concert tickets come with a "No tape recorders" clause and most on-air broadcasts are copywrited, I would say monetarily you are SOL. Historicaly you may have something there that you may or may not be able to share for free until someone serves you with a C&D notice. BTW there are many Cal Jam videos available on Youtube so even the exclusivity of what you posses is in question.

Otherwise I am having a great day! Happy holidays to you.
Happy holidsys to you as well. Thank you for the note. As far as the youtube videos go, 85-90% of a film is its sound. With zero technology I'm the one who captured the sound of California Jam. Again, it's beyond belief and dwarfs Woodstock and Classic Rock together.

What about a not-for-profit teaching angle of California Jam? There's no harm in people learning the truth behind California Jam. This thing must be experienced to be witnessed. Nothing personal, but let's just say May 21, 2010 has arrived early.

caljamscott

Post by caljamscott » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:07 pm

mockspeed wrote:I have to laugh at the notion that he has the only audio recording. I was there for the first Cal Jam, as a young teenager, and I know I was recorded by ABC. As Rob mentioned pieces are on Youtube. Not sure what you can do with your version without talking to music industry lawyers.
Again, 85-90% of a film is its sound. Without sound, the only remnants of a mega-concert like California Jam are a few posters, patches and like you say poor-quality videos. Those videos of California Jam are for the mst part annoying and as far as I'm concerned, with my world exclusive soundtrack of the event we're dealing with two different California Jams here.

Please anyone if you choose to scope the California Jam videos on youtube remember what I tell you-it's almost a disservice to the beauty of my world exclusive ferric oxide Fe302 tape recording of California Jam. This thing is not to be taken lightly. I'm telling you this soundtrack dwarfs Classic Rock pitifully. It is very strong, beautiful and humongous.

caljamscott

Post by caljamscott » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:16 pm

I'm sure a lot of people are watching those California Jam videos on youtube. I have better quailty California Jam videos on my desk than there are on youtube. A clip is experienced on my youtube page.

I don't hear anyone in the comments section of any of those videos proclaiming the end of Classic Rock due to what they're seeing there.

caljamscott

Post by caljamscott » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:11 pm

There is no intelligent conversation when it comes to this item. In fact there is no discussion at all. The tape is stupefying. That's all.

caljamscott

Post by caljamscott » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:00 am

I see no harm in teaching people the truth behind California Jam. Like I said, the tape has esoteric properties the likes of which don't exist anywhere else. This is a global phenomenon.

robnokshus

Post by robnokshus » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:36 pm

You are obviously very passionate about this Scott. I think Mockspeed offers you your first logical step; talk to an entertainment lawyer and find out what you can and can't do with what you have.

caljamscott

Post by caljamscott » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:39 pm

So if I don't talk to an entertainment attorney first they'll hang me with the tape?