MySpace For Sale!

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
jdenver

MySpace For Sale!

Post by jdenver » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:47 am

MySpace had it all -- and let it go! What do you think MySpace did wrong a few years before Facebook got so popular?

And, if you could buy it, what would you do to fix? And, what do you think it's worth?

robnokshus

Re: MySpace For Sale!

Post by robnokshus » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:34 am

Sold out to Newscorp. Nothing kills innovation and that entrepreneurial spirit faster than corporate culture.

But really, the slide began before that. Take a look at Myspace. It looks like a teenager's room, which is fine until you're no longer 15. Facebook with it's clean design and restrained ad presence is more appealing to a wider demographic base and is less fatiguing to view. The perception that "Myspace is for kids" means that at some point, it's just not cool to be on Myspace anymore.

I guess then if it were mine, I would capitalize on that young demo. I would partner with Disney and Nicolodeon. Instead of kids lying about their ages to be on, I would make it a safe haven for kids, a place where their parents wouldn't worry aboout who their online "friends" were. Perhaps more aggressive content monitoring. Let the kids have their fun, but in a safe environment.