Amount of male discrimination in the job posts is SHOCKING

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
timryan

Re: Amount of male discrimination in the job posts is SHOCK

Post by timryan » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:17 pm

"This is silly. Don't use the word argument incorrectly. Suggesting I have to show you a casting call for a male proves it isn't discrimination against males is nonsense. The burden on this argument falls on you and thus far you have not made it stick, especially because you seem to not understand how an argument ought to work."
Radioelizabeth, you are right about the burden of proof. I typed in "female" in the job search, and it gave me these two RECENT ads that blatantly advertise for a female :
1. "Female Player for Major Market Morning Show"

Unread postby durbs » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:03 am
Top 25 market morning show needs a Female Player to compliment the show Host. Can you hold your own, while also knowing when to "throw the ball back" to Host?

Pop culture and current events knowledge is a must. Social networking skills, and funny wit required.

If you can bring it, send MP3 demo and resume to: majormorningshow@gmail.com
http://www.allaccess.com/forum/search.p ... bc8f502e74

Postby lesleylotto » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:23 pm
In immediate need of EXPERIENCED PT and Fill in Anchors for boutique news network in rapid expansion mode. We're looking for major market experience, excellent conversational writing style, dependable, loyal, hard-fast worker, I could go on. Please send resume and demo (no more than 5mb) to inforadiogig@gmail.com NO CALLS PLEASE.

lesleylotto

THEN I typed in "male" into the same search area and this came up:

No suitable matches were found.

You are welcome to do the same thing. Game over.
thetimmyryan@live.com

radioelizabeth

Post by radioelizabeth » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:29 pm

I'm going to conclude you know very little about logic. And "game over"? What are you? Five?

You didn't meet your burden of proof. In fact, you defeated your own argument.

You just posted casting calls for female talent - again, this is covered under the law.
You didn't find any casting calls for male talent - so? What is that supposed to prove? There is a higher demand for female talent than males so there are more casting calls for female talent. This makes perfect sense.

I'm sure you could find a casting call for male talent somewhere if you really want to find one. Hell, there are a lot of sites devoting to casting calls and talent searches and personalities for various things.

I'm not sure why you are looking for them - unless it's because you are hoping to apply and audition for it? Then I say, go for it!

Or, go ahead and provide your demo and resume that shows you were able to fill the role of female talent and apply/audition for those casting calls. As I said earlier, if you can pull off the drag - go for it!

But that's all irrelevant to your argument - since you are arguing there is discrimination. This means, the postings you provide can't be for casting calls for talent - because again, the law states clearly that is NOT discrimination. The only way you can meet your burden is to provide examples that show actual discrimination. Talent searches are not covered in that.

Next time, try to firm up your arguments with things like correct premises and logical reasoning.

Thanks. :)

timryan

Post by timryan » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:25 pm

Radioelizabeth; I provided you with two (2) examples of BLATANT OPEN employment discrimination, on a popular JOBS site ( not roles site, mind you) based on gender. I never read in ANY of the ads, where they stated or provided why a woman would be any better than a male in that position. This is OPEN gender discrimination- and the*** LAW***- is on my side:
***Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, SEX, or national origin". ****
Those ads and your position, CLEARLY- under our current laws, discriminate against me and every male, without giving example one of why a female is more qualified in that position than a male is. It's wrong and illegal (and I'd say the EXACT same thing if the situation was reversed).
It's okay Radioelizabeth, I remember my first beer too.

radioelizabeth

Post by radioelizabeth » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:41 am

Oh my.

What about "not defined as discrimination under the law" don't you understand? Casting calls are covered and are not discrimination. Talent falls under casting calls. Thus, ads seeking specific talents are not in violation of the law.

This is really not that difficult to understand. Continuing to repeat yourself and stamping your feet with this nonsense claim is just annoying at this point.

Nothing you have shown is discrimination according to the law.

timryan

Post by timryan » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:26 am

No Ma'am- you are the one who is stamping their feet. I have met MY burden of proof of blatant gender discrimination. I have shown that there are job postings where there is discrimination, without basis for that discrimination/ any reason that a male couldn't perform the job. I have the LAW on my side:
***Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, SEX, or national origin". ****
You are someone who is ignoring logic, LAW, and someone who obviously has a chip on their shoulder. Why don' t you put up a job posting that says: "Looking for a white, male, that has no black or hispanic traits, and who is preferably straight. I am casting for a radio job, and therefore immune to EEO laws". See how far that gets you ;)
See, I have this *crazy* belief that women or men- if they can do the job, should NOT be discriminated against! There is NO radio job that a man or woman can do better than another. Period.

As someone with a publicly displayed *business* website, I'd thought you'd be a bit more careful with your policies. You do good work, btw.
Last edited by timryan on Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

radioelizabeth

Post by radioelizabeth » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:54 am

Oh dear. Still?

You don't have the law on your side. You are ignoring the part of that law that notes the exception for casting calls/talent. You aren't applying the standard accurately at all. Again... it's “bona fide occupational qualification”.

You also keep contradicting yourself at this point. You recently said you would say the same thing if the casting call were for a man, and yet, you earlier stated that if you could find one for a male you would not call it discrimination.

Casting calls can get very very specific. Often times you will see calls for specific sex and age, etc. This is perfectly legal because again - it is a casting call. Talent falls under casting call. BFOQ does not usually cover "race" however.

You asked what makes a female more qualified for the talent positions - the fact that the role is for a FEMALE. Again, dress in drag and get your demo and audition for the role if you think you can pull that off. no one is stopping you from auditioning for a female role as a male. But the role is for FEMALE, not male. You cannot be denied the application. Go ahead. The law lets you try out for a casting call for male or female. The law allows the posting for the specific role they are looking for.

Again... this is the difference. The ad isn't in any way posting anything other than a casting call for a specific talent role. They aren't stopping you from auditioning from said role. They aren't breaking the “bona fide occupational qualification” in the law.

timryan

Post by timryan » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:05 am

You are looking like a bafoon. ***Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, SEX, or national origin****. Name ONE radio job that a female can do better ( or the other way around) than a male? You can't. Find me ONE job that advertises 'Looking for a MALE_____"- you can't/ couldn't. And as I pointed out- someone who has a publicly displayed *business* website, ought to be more conciseness of the gender discrimination they are forever putting on the internet for all to see.
"you earlier stated that if you could find one for a male you would not call it discrimination."
What I meant by that, is that if you could find ONE ad saying they were not going to hire a female, that I'd concede that at least the discrimination was openly equal- which it's not. There are NO radio ads that I have ever seen on allaccess.com, that says " Looking for a MALE______"- EVER. If radio was a casting call- like you say, there should be an equal number of the ones that say " looking for a MALE______". Yet, this is not the case.

radioelizabeth

Post by radioelizabeth » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:18 am

I can't help you if your reading comprehension is this off. I've already explained this several times.

“bona fide occupational qualification”

If the role is for female, it's for female. That simple. A male can certainly apply for a role of a female. But it is not in violation of the law to list the specifics in the casting call and hired under the BFOQ.

No one is suggesting a man or woman can "do better". The suggestion is simply occupational qualification for this specific role. That's it. Talent falls under this. No different than casting for a film or television show or play or whatnot. It's a casting call for a ROLE.

Do you still not understand what a casting call is? That these postings you are seeing are for TALENT?

Do you honestly not understand that talent falls under casting calls and that air personalities/talent fulfill specific "roles" on air?

Also, just a side note here... sex and gender are not the same thing. This law has nothing at all to do with "gender". Have you even read this law in its entirety?

timryan

Post by timryan » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:24 am

Radioelizabeth, I wish you well. I made my case- which is rock solid, have backed it up laws that protect you and I, and shown you to be at the very least ignorant. Good luck with your "pleasant, passionate, persuasive" business.
Last edited by timryan on Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

radioelizabeth

Post by radioelizabeth » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:29 am

Wow.

That's pretty sad you still think you have this right. I mean, I actually feel bad for you. Sincerely. I really wanted you to grasp this and learn something.

Alas....

:/