Cumulus Broadcasting

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
talkerbob

Cumulus Broadcasting

Post by talkerbob » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:01 pm

Need the info on what it's like to work for Cumulus as a company from current employees. Former employees weigh in also, but I'm not looking get some axes ground here. Serious info would be most helpful. Pay scale, benefits, working conditions. The companies commitment to winning, what do they call winning......

tomb

Re: Cumulus Broadcasting

Post by tomb » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:00 pm

See the thread on KLIF 570 in Dallas/Fort Worth

pdjobs91462

Post by pdjobs91462 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:12 am

talkerbob wrote:Need the info on what it's like to work for Cumulus as a company from current employees. Former employees weigh in also, but I'm not looking get some axes ground here. Serious info would be most helpful. Pay scale, benefits, working conditions. The companies commitment to winning, what do they call winning......
This is not ax-grinding, Bob. I wish I had asked the same questions before I took a PD job with Cumulus.

If you're going into any gig with Cumulus hoping to have any creative freedom, don't just walk away. Run away.

Cumulus is NOT committed to winning. Not in the way you and I recognize as winning. And when it comes to losing, they will NEVER look in the mirror. It's always the PD's fault. Never the ownership's fault.

Cumulus is the worst radio company in america. If you value your career, don't go there.

As for pay, Cumulus will step over a dollar to pick a dime. They won't pay you what you're worth or fair value for your job. They'll get you for as cheap as they can. It's certainly telling that they just blew out the Market Manager in Indianapolis. They eliminated his position. If they feel they can do without, they will.

As for benefits, the insurance is good. That's about it.

jondavid

Post by jondavid » Mon May 07, 2012 1:37 pm

Having actually seen the peculiar stylings of Cumulus Management for myself; up close....there are a few real world issues I'd like to point out to anyone considering a position with that company....

My opinion is: Cumulus Radio is nothing more than a thinly-disguised stock manipulation destined for an inevitable, spectacular financial meltdown with investors recouping their money and profits by the eventual selling off of the foreclosed-on stations....

Therefore, in my view, any position with them, at any level, contracted or not, is very likely a short-lived proposition.

The way I see it, Cumulus management has irrefutably proven, it has lost the capability of hearing superb, professional, or even adequate On-Air Radio performance, and are therefore incapable of discerning any level of professional success on the part of their On-Air Employees....in Professional Competence, Ratings Achievement, and even Revenue Earnings.

When Talent, Performance, Ratings, and Revenue are immaterial....There is no path to continuing success within Cumulus for On-Air Radio Broadcasters.

My belief is that you work with them at your own risk.

Jon-David Wells
The Wells Report
Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas

hd

Post by hd » Tue May 08, 2012 9:39 am

I can give you the part timers point of view. I still work for Cumulus. Have for years, even after they cut part-times back to min wage jobs. I certainly don't do it for the money, or the comraderie, or anything you'd expect everyday in a station (yes, everyday. I'm a voice tracker 6 or 7 shifts a week). I do it 'cause I like being on-air and getting a remote every once in a while (the PD takes 90 percent of the remotes and the talent fee that goes with them. Can't blame him, he doesn't get paid worth anything either).
It seems that Cumulus dictates everything from Atlanta. You run their syndication, their production, their ideas. They don't seem to offer any local decision making. We've got 2 full time people in programming for 7 stations, and only 5 sales people (inclding the market manager).
I'm not some newby who hasn't been around, I've been in radio longer than I'd like to admit. I voice track for the personal fun of it, not for the money or the company.

Drakea83

Post by Drakea83 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:41 pm

I worked for Cumulus starting out 10 years ago. Haven't had much dealing with them other than an interview at a major market station last year. I agree with what the person before said, everything is out of Atlanta and doesn't seem like the local stations have much say. However, same can be said for most every corporate radio. Clear Channel is no different. I'm extremely happy in market 191 working at a locally owned station. Not that I wouldn't work for one of the radio giants if the right opportunity presented itself, but I'd take a real long hard look at the pros & cons. You never know when the number crunchers are going to say "We need to cut some payroll to make sure our CEO's get their $10 mil bonus this year."

Just my 2 cents.