The SECRET KEY to SUCCESS in radio!

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
mnfri

The SECRET KEY to SUCCESS in radio!

Post by mnfri » Mon May 07, 2012 2:47 pm

What do all successful radio hosts have in common? In fact, what is the one and only thing all successful radio hosts have in common?

None of them suck at what they do. In fact, love them or hate them, they're all great. Like Frosted Flakes except they don't turn into soggy mush if you leave them in milk for 30 seconds.

I know this sounds overly simplistic and maybe it is. Most truth is rather simple. But seriously, isn't the key to success in radio as straightforward as this? If you are undeniable. I mean if you are brilliant. If you are sharp as a f***ing box of knives, if you are creative and communicative and damn fearless, you will be successful. Simple as that. Everyone that has washed out hasn't had these qualities. Even if they think they did. If you don't possess these qualities you might survive for a bit. In fact, you might hang around for decades. But you'll never be successful.

Of all the "tricks of the trade" and all the advice and all the warnings and admonitions and promises and wise words why doesn't anyone ever remember to mention this little fact? Sometimes I see some of the advice posted to this forum --- and a lot of it is very good, don't get me wrong --- but I can't help but feel like it's missing this asterisk.

I think a lot of people in radio are like the poor fools that end up being the comedic relief during the first few episodes of American Idol. They've dedicated their whole life to this dream that was always destined to turn into a nightmare of failure and disappointment because everyone forgot to tell them they suck horribly at singing. They have no talent and never will have talent. The most they could ever hope to be is the background singer for a wedding band. Provided nobody ever turns their mic on.

So that is all a long way of saying this: the secret to success in radio is to be very, very, very good at it. If you aren't, it won't work out. Especially not now. If you are and you couple that skill with obsessive ambition and a superhuman work ethic, you'll probably make it. You have to make it, actually. People who are great at this business can't do anything else. They were born for this. Everyone else in this industry are like foster children searching for their real home. It's out there somewhere but it aint behind the microphone.

robnokshus

Re: The SECRET KEY to SUCCESS in radio!

Post by robnokshus » Tue May 08, 2012 8:19 am

danno wrote:COULDN'T AGREE WITH YOU MORE!.. but how do you explain Ryan Seacrest, SNOOKIEand The Kardashian's?????

Ryan Seacrest IS very, very good at what he does and is probably the hardest working guy in Show Biz. Snookie is the snookiest Snookie I have ever seen and the Kardashians... well, once again, Ryan Seacrest is very, very good at what he does (he got you to mention the Kardashians, didn't he?).