Do your airchecks get heard?

Opinions, comments, critiques, and what you hear is going on – post it, share it!
frankincleveland

Do your airchecks get heard?

Post by frankincleveland » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:15 am

I was talking to a fellow out of work radio guy earlier today on Facebook, and he was cooking up ideas to make his airchecks stand out.

While most PD's ask for a resume, aircheck under a certain length, and occasionally a head shot.. he thought maybe building a interactive email.. a sort of a webpage within an eMail would make him stand out from the crowd.

This got me thinking about how airchecks come in, and how they're listened to.

I can remember as a kid, maybe 8 or 9.. having a PD hand me a big box of demos. His instructions for me were to open each of them, throw out all the paper, and bulk erase the cassette tapes and put 'em in the prod room.

In exchange, he'd let me go down into the basement and pick out a few albums. I got my first Creedence album that way.

And that got me thinking about the biz today. A station has a job opening, they put it out there, and anybody with an MP3 and an eMail account can submit their stuff.

With "broadcasting schools" churning out graduates as fast as they can cash the tuition checks, there are more and more people applying for fewer and fewer gigs.. not to mention the PD probably already has someone in mind for the job before the ad even goes out.

Which makes you wonder. Is a PD really going to listen to several hundred demos and then narrow them down? Or is he/she going to listen until he hears a voice he likes and then that's the one?

danno

Re: Do your airchecks get heard?

Post by danno » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:57 am

the PD will listen to very few, or none(if the ad posted was after he hired someone), then dump all of them before the PC crashes.

bdimario

Post by bdimario » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:25 am

...except if you're applying to a post from a Clear Channel station, where they sent you to their specialized web page to submit your materials. Someday, when the first manned space flight of all radio air talent goes into orbit, they take you to the place in cyberspace where Clear Channel hides all those airchecks...

Radio1240

Post by Radio1240 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:20 am

It's who you know and network...in 30 years on the air, for me I had 2 PD's call me to hire me..the rest were "I know him"..and off to work I went....or "somebody" heard me on the air...the best jobs came that way.....with voice-tracking and stuff today...re-invent yourself!... The T&R days are gone...