Question for willing-to-help sales managers

What are you doing to make money in these tough times? How are you motivating your staff?

Moderators: shawnski, pmsimon, patgillen, jeffy, jdenver

johnthomas

Question for willing-to-help sales managers

Post by johnthomas » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:57 am

Hi, there. I manage a cluster of six radio stations in Twin Falls, Idaho. We're an independently owned and operated group, and as a result don't have access to a whole lot of out-of-market ideas when it comes to rate card. We had two FMs and two AMs until last month, when we purchased another FM and AM. When you're trying to sell three deep, what kind of incentives to you offer? Would anybody working in a cluster of six be willing to send me a rate card? Any help is greatly appreciated. My name is Broc Johnson, I'm Ops Mgr at Lee Family Broadcasting, and my e-mail address is [email protected] ... thanks in advance!

sjp1969

Re: Question for willing-to-help sales managers

Post by sjp1969 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:47 pm

Hi. As an Agency Manager who deals a lot with rate cards. I would probably suggest you use something similar to what I see in Vegas which is Top 33 DMA:

When a cluster has Country and Classic Hits or Country and Pop Adult AC...use $110 for :30s on the NON-COUNTRY stations and use a $60 rate for your Country stations if they are part of the combo buy. Those :30sec rates are lower because Country is going thru so much transition the ratings have been challenged country wide. Then if you are tagging on a 3rd station as you mentioned, like AM News Talk Primes/Sydicated or Alternative Rock try to get these rates to balance out as $50 rotators (6a-8p). If the buy is annual, maybe even lower..$25 rotators on the AM depending on it's cume/weekly audience.

Hope that helps.
Steph in Vegas
Pace Media

mickleegreen

Post by mickleegreen » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:35 am

I use a program I call the Flight Plan with great success. We were able to garner larger shares of clients' budgets to become the top billing group in the market. Clients buy the first (and sometimes the second) station at rate card, ie. the best rate you can negotiate (usually the station with the heaviest inventory demand). If they buy additional stations you offer them a 25% - 50% discount (depending on avails, and the amount of money you're asking for) for buying M-Sa 5a-8p but pre-emptible if inventory is tight. Most of these Flight Plan spots will run in Prime, or close to it, you'll have happy clients, and generate revenue with inventory that would otherwise go unsold. Win-Win, the best kind of deal there is !

russsilva

Post by russsilva » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:16 am

Agree with mickle that Most of these Flight Plan spots will run in Prime, or close to it, you'll have happy clients, and generate revenue with inventory that would otherwise go unsold. Win-Win, the best kind of deal there is !

spikeamind

Post by spikeamind » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:22 pm

Good thoughts above .... Maybe it's because there was no mention of it when phrased; why are mobile strategies not being tied into the mix? On the financial side, suit or not, this is the most essential component for true growth. It will also help create and foster the culture required within the industry towards ensuring an omni approach (mixed media, video and audio, on the fly feedback/placement). Hope that makes sense, crucial for success in today's $$ growing $$ media landscape vs. only 2 years ago? Or 3 months ago... Thoughts?

Spike a Mind (Financial, Consultant)